Wednesday, November 19, 2008

the story of pumpkin

As promised here is the story of pumpkin...
We went to the farm with some friends back in the last week of September. While we were there Little Mister picked out "pumpkin". Pumpkin became his little buddy he slept with in bed with him, sat at the table with him, even played toys with him. I know what you are thinking I should have seen trouble down the road but no I just thought it was sweet or that we needed some more play dates with people not pumpkins :)
Well I noticed last week that pumpkin was starting to look different in color and Little mister was not really playing with him much anymore so it was time to get rid of it. I told Little Mister on Thursday night that is was time to get rid of pumpkin that it was starting to decay (yes he knows what that means yea for PBS) so we needed to put him in the yard debris bin so he could decay and his seeds would make new pumpkins. Don't judge me it's not the first little lie I would tell in this adventure. Little Mister was fine with that and he asked me to take a picture of him and pumpkin so he could remember him.

Pumpkin's happy face...

I thought all was well he was off to bed no tears or anything. The next day we spent the whole day with cousin Ammy and had so much fun. That night after he went to bed little Mister came out crying saying he missed pumpkin and wanted to tell him goodbye. So we headed outside in the cold to say goodbye. I am sure the neighbors thought it was odd to see me holding my boy over the trash can as he is crying and saying goodbye. He calmed down went to back bed and no less then 2min later he came out crying again saying he was afraid pumpkin would be scared in a new place. So we headed back outside to tell pumpkin to not be scared that God would be with him. As Little Mister and I headed back inside he turned to me crying well sobbing is more like it asking me if pumpkin would ever learn to walk again. Finally it clicked this was not about pumpkin anymore. We talked and snuggled, cried and rocked in the rocking chair for about an hour. When I had answered all the many questions the best I could we snuggled and I waited for more questions. When were all talked out we put on a movie got our stuffed animals out including my very special daddy bear(I made it with my mom and sisters a week after my dad passed away from cancer). All snuggled in on the couch he finally fell asleep.

The next morning he told nana all about how sad he was and how mom let him use her bear. Nana thought it was time for him and little miss to have their very own Papa bears so they could have something to snuggle when they felt sad.









What a fun adventure they had picking out there bears and picking out clothes, Little Misters Bear is wearing a shirt that says I love my Grandpa. Little Miss bear we found out later was created by a little girl who had Cancer and when you purchase him a dollar of the proceeds go to children's cancer research. The kids love the bears and little mister sleeps with his papa bear every night. Much wiser chose then a pumpkin :)

4 comments:

Jen said...

Neat story and I love the pics especially the first one with Nana- you can really see the family genes at work!

Anonymous said...

what a precious story. Isn't it amazing how kids (we) transfer our feelings to inanimate objects in times of crisis? And yeah for Grandmas.... :)

Loretta

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this very, very special story! It almost breaks your heart to see little ones so concerned for loved ones. You have a very special guy there with a very sensitive heart! What a great idea for Grandma to get them their own bears! So special!!

Anonymous said...

I told this story to Mr J and he thought the Papa Bears were such a neat idea! Thanks for sharing the lessons being learned in your world. You are a very special mom, who has a very special mom and your kids are lucky kids :)

God continue to bless you with wisdom as your journey continues.

Miss Janny